This article originally appeared in Expedition, the journal of the University Museum, University of Pennsylvania.
- Who created the oldest known visual representations?
- What are the oldest known representations and how do they evolve through time?
- Is there patterning in the location and subject matter of Upper Paleolithic representations?
- Why did people create visual representations?
- How did people create visual representations?
- Which people created (viewed) Paleolithic imagery?
- Do Upper Paleolithic representations constitute a religious art?
- What is the evolutionary significance of material forms of representation?